Saturday, 9 January 2016

Chemical spill at Scottish school puts two staff members in hospital.

Two members of staff have been hospitalized after a chemical spill at a school in Perth, Scotland, on Thursday 7 January 2015. The incident happened after school hours at the St John's Roman Catholic Academy in North Inch, when about a liter of the chemical methanal was spilled in a classroom. No pupils were present at the time, but two members of the school's cleaning staff were overcome by fumes after attempting to deal with the problem themselves. The spill was eventually tackled by crew from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service wearing specialist breathing equipment and the school was able to reopen on Friday 8 January.

Fire and Rescue personnel in specialist clothing tackle a chemical spill at a school in Scotland on 7 January 2015. Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.

Methanal is the simplest member of the aldehyde group of chemicals, with a chemical formula of CH2O. It is highly toxic to all animal life, and can cause death at relatively low levels if injected. Solutions of Methanal are also highly corrosive. Methanal fumes can aggravate the mucus membranes in the eyes at very low levels of concentration, causing extremely watery eyes. At higher levels fumes cause headaches, burning sensations in the throat and lungs and can trigger asthma and allergy symptoms; they are also considered to be carcinogenic (likely to cause cancer) and may cause reproductive problems in women, including abnormal menstrual cycles and spontaneous abortions.

See also...

http://sciencythoughts.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/dairy-wastewater-spill-kills-hundreds.htmlDairy wastewater spill kills hundreds of Fish in Alabama creek.                                            A spill of dairy wastewater has killed several hundred Fish in the Shades Creek at Homewood, Alabama, close to West Homewood Park, on Monday 19 October 2015. The comprised about 380 liters of wastewater from the Mayfield Creamery, which turned the creek a...
http://sciencythoughts.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/toxic-cloud-over-barcelona.htmlToxic cloud over Barcelona.                   Residents of five towns in the Province of Barcelona, Spain, were forced to stay inside for much of the morning of Thursday 12 February 2015, after an explosion at the Simarsa chemicals plant  resulted in...
http://sciencythoughts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/24-million-without-tapwater-in-gansu.html2.4 million without tapwater in Gansu Province, China, after oil leak contaminates supply.                                                        Around 2.4 million people in the city of Lanzhou in northwest Gansu Province after an oil pipeline operated by the Lanzhou Petrochemical Co., a subsidiary...
Follow Sciency Thoughts on Facebook.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment